NS8 Protect™ (formerly Complete Storefront Protection) has integrated the identity check features of Whitepages Pro into its tools available to help merchants combat fraud. Whitepages Pro checks customer data from over 170 countries.
Currently, this feature is only available on the Shopify and Shopify Plus platforms, but will be rolled out to all customers in the future. Each Whitepages Pro check will cost a store 8 cents and the cost will be added to their monthly bill.
What is Identity Verification?
Identity verification leverages the power of multiple data sources to validate the information provided by a potential customer about their order. Identity verification helps identify anomalies in the customer's name, phone number, addresses, and email records. Instead of a reviewer taking valuable time to review multiple websites and data bases, the Whitepages Pro integration returns a confidence score and detailed results in seconds.
Why use Identity Verification?
Identity verification will allow merchants to approve more orders in less time than performing manual review. By quickly confirming orders that can be approved with a validated identity, merchants can save more intensive manual reviews for only the edge case orders where it is truly required.
How does Identity Verification Work?
Whitepages Pro will compare the order details to data sources and return a 0-500 confidence score. The confidence score identifies risky orders with a value closer to 500 and non-risky orders with a value closer to 0. There are many issues that will lower or raise the confidence score, such as disposable email addresses and phone numbers, drop ship and freight forwarder addresses, and shipping or billing addresses that do not match the information provided by a customer. The reason behind the score will be displayed on the NS8 Suspicious Orders screen.
Using Identity Verification in NS8 Protect
There are two ways to request identity verification of an order: either manually or automated. The results returned will be the same if either method is used to request identity information.
Manually Requesting Identity Verification
Manual requests are processed by simply clicking the Run Check button on the Suspicious Orders screen in NS8 Protect, as shown below.
Automating Identity Verification
From the Settings screen in NS8 Protect there is a slider to set an EQ8 Score range where automated checks will be run. The range merchants choose will be based on their risk tolerance, order rules, and business practices. Orders between the buttons on the sliders will have the Whitepages Pro check run. This is a very useful feature if merchants know that they will always review order with an EQ8 Score below 600 and reject those below 100. To enable automated verification, simply turn on the button next to Enable White Pages Pro automated identity checks based on the EQ8 score range below.
Identity Verification Results
There are two places where merchants can view Whitepages Pro results: the Suspicious Orders screen and the Order Review screen. On the Suspicious Orders screen, merchants can add the column WhitePages Pro Score to see the score in the orders grid. The most detail is provided on the Order Review screen.
Whitepages Pro Results
The detailed results shown on the Order Review screen are broken down into three sections: confidence score, red flags, and details. Merchants will need to decide the weight assigned to these attributes based on their customer profile and/or order profiles. Failures of the validity checks for addresses, phone numbers, and email will likely carry more weight than a partial name mismatch (George Jetson versus Jane Jetson).
- The Confidence Score - The confidence score is an index that rates how likely it is that a customer's identity is genuine. Zero is the best result and 500 is the worst. The score is also assigned a letter grade from A, the best, to F, the worst.
- Red Flags - This section will provide a description of the red flags found by automated review, if any.
- Details - The tabs in this section will provide detailed results for each check performed by Whitepages Pro.
The Details Tabs
There are four details tabs that show results from the Whitepages Pro checks performed on a customer's identity: Billing, Shipping, Phone, and Email.
The Billing and Shipping Tabs
The billing and shipping tabs examine the attributes of a customer's billing and shipping addresses provided on the order. The attributes below are checked:
- Valid address - This checks property records and other databases to determine if the address is a valid address to receive shipments.
- Address to name match - This check verifies the name on the order against ownership records. These records can mismatch due to rental properties, roommates, and similar situations, and a match failure can provide reason to do further verification of the order based on the Resident name check.
- Resident name - This will display the name of the registered resident of a property. If the Address to name match check has failed, but the last name matches, this field can be helpful to approve orders.
- Address accepts mail - This indicates that the address can accept mail. If the result is No, it would be much riskier to ship an order to that address and it is unlikely a valid billing address.
- Shipping forwarder - This check indicates that an address is a freight forwarder. Freight forwarders are businesses that receive and reship orders, usually internationally. For some businesses, this is very uncommon and presents a high risk transaction.
- Type - This check identifies the type of address such as Single unit, Multi-family, and Business.
The Phone Tab
The phone tab examines the attributes of a customer's billing and shipping addresses provided on the order. The attributes below are checked:
- Valid number - This indicates that the phone number provided was identified as valid.
- Phone to name match - This check indicates that the phone number on the order matches the name on a phone bill. Because of shared phone lines and cell phone accounts, a failure of this check is cause to continue review of the order.
- Prepaid - This check indicates that the phone number is a prepaid account.
- Subscriber name - This check will identify the name on the phone account.
- Commercial - This check indicates if the the address is commercial or residential.
- Line type - This indicates the type of phone account, such as cellular, residential, and voip (voice over internet protocol).
The Email Tab
The email tab examines the attributes of a customer's billing and shipping addresses provided on the order. The attributes below are checked:
- Valid email - This indicates that the email is valid.
- Autogenerated - This indicates that the email is generated by script or other automated methods.
- Disposable - This indicates that the email is a disposable account that may only last a short time or not require any personal information to set up.
Using the identity checks provided by Whitepages Pro in conjunction with NS8's EQ8 Score can provide an easy workflow to identify and approve good orders and cancel high risk orders.