As you have already discovered, installation of NS8 Protect is a code-free, frictionless process that should have taken just a few minutes to install. (If this was not the case, please let us know so we can improve upon the experience going forward.)
The great news is that NS8 Protect starts evaluating your website traffic, monitoring performance, and protecting your sales as soon as it is installed. In fact, you may have already seen suspect orders quarantined and reviewed the analysis of site traffic displayed on your dashboard. If you don't know how to find it already, this article will tell you how to find the NS8 Protect dashboard in your eCommerce platform.
However, it only takes few additional (and easy) steps you to unlock even more features and get the most value out of NS8 Protect. We promised this would be quick, easy, and done in under thirty minutes, so we're going to jump right in and get started.
This feature of NS8 Protect will keep an eye on the store for you and let you know when there are issues with your website, such as slowdowns, downtime, or security issues.
The key to getting the most out of this feature is making sure we notify the right person when an issue arises. The default contact information is often provided by your eCommerce platform as the site administrator (usually the email address that was registered during site installation), which may be okay for your business.
However, if you want to check who is being notified or change the settings for alerts, you can update the notification settings for email, SMS, and escalation paths in just a few easy clicks.
- On the NS8 Protect Dashboard, click on the Performance menu, select Contacts, and enter the appropriate information. Once you've updated your contacts, you're all set!
Now that your contacts are set up, let's look at a few more settings that will help analyze your traffic and protect your ad budget.
It's easy to protect your advertising budget with NS8 protect, since 99% of our ad campaign scoring is automatic. This is because we use UTM codes to track your users, which helps us to determine which ad campaigns are driving traffic to your site and where exactly your good (and bad) customers are coming from.
Once users reach your site, we monitor their behavior to score all your traffic, campaign-related or not. This can give you key insights to optimize campaigns and fight advertising fraud.
There are two key settings in NS8 Protect that will help you leverage its power to maximize your results:
- If you are using retargeting campaigns, turning on the Google Analytics integration and setting your Remarketing Slider will help you block low-quality traffic from being placed on your remarketing lists. This ensures that you only spend money targeting real, high-quality traffic.
- On the Settings page, you can also adjust the EQ8 Score threshold at which NS8 will report a visitor as valid or invalid on the Campaign Activity and Suspicious Sessions screens. The slider labeled "Valid vs. Suspicious Users" is used adjust the point at which you consider somebody suspicious. By default, users with an EQ8 Score below 100 are considered suspicious.
- Now that we've optimized two out of three functions in NS8 Protect, we're ready to tackle the third: Transaction Fraud.
There is a good chance that the reason you installed NS8 Protect was to stop fraudsters from placing bad orders. Upon installation, NS8 Protect will begin to analyze orders, apply an EQ8 score, and quarantine suspect orders.
However, there are a few simple steps you can use to customize this protection for your business and make it even better, as we've listed in this article and summarized below.
- Turn on SMS Verification: Under the settings page, you can turn this button on to have every suspect order SMS verified and approved if the SMS Verification passes. This can be a powerful tool to add an automated layer of fraud prevention to your process.
- Flag Suspicious Orders: This setting is on by default and will quarantine all orders that have an EQ8 score below 100. However, if your risk tolerance is much lower (or you'd like to be extra cautious as you get used to NS8 Protect), increasing this to threshold to 400-600 may be a better starting point.
- Build an Order Rule: Order Rules are the best way to customize order protection for your individual business. They can also be the most dangerous if badly configured, so it's best to start with something simple (e.g., setting up a rule to flag orders as high-risk if their total order price exceeds 1.5x your typical order price, giving you the chance to perform a review).
For setting up more advanced rules and learning about other possibilities, check out this article.
For Shopify users, there are a few other features to consider, some of which will be available to all users soon:
- Include Shopify's Order Risk: This feature is found on the Settings Page of NS8 Protect, and turning it on will include Shopify's risk evaluation along with NS8's scoring when quarantining orders.
If you are used to using Shopify's system and find it valuable you may want to turn this on; otherwise, you can just leave it off.
- Payment Capture: To prevent suspicious orders from still being automatically fulfilled by Shopify, you may want to turn off auto-capture in your Shopify Admin and have NS8 Protect automate payment capture for valid orders instead, as described here.
- Whitepages Pro: This integration will add extra identity verification to your review process, and can be run by default for orders within your specified EQ8 score range.
Now that we've spent a few minutes getting your NS8 Protect installation customized for your business needs, you're all set to begin reviewing and approving orders!
As you build experience and get used to using the product, remember to add new rules and review your settings to improve your order screening and optimize your ad campaigns.
You can also reach out to us at any time by using the chat icon in the application. The NS8 Customer Success team will be glad to help you get the most out of NS8 Protect whenever you need help.